© 2023 by Name of Site. Proudly created with Wix.com

  • Facebook App Icon
  • Twitter App Icon
  • Google+ App Icon

List of DeKalb County Sheriff’s: Past to Present

  1. April 8, 1845 Charles L. Allen, appointed by Governor, refused to serve.

  2. July 18, 1845                Andrew H. Skidmore, appointed by Governor, served until 1850

  3. 1850-1854    Simeon Dalton

  4. 1854-1860    Andrew Smith

  5. 1861-1862    William Orr

  6. 1862-1864    Joseph E. Branscom

  7. 1865-1866    William Orr

  8. 1866-1870    Daniel Ransom

  9. 1870-1872    Green R. Atterbury

  10. 1872-1874    Ebenezar Holbert

  11. 1874-1878    John M. Roberts

  12. 1878-1882    E.B. Ogle

  13. 1882-1886    Edward J. Smith

  14. 1886-1890    James Gibson

  15. 1890-1894    Robert Rogers

  16. 1894-1898    B.F. Channel

  17. 1898-1902    William Duncan

  18. 1902-1904    Frank Brant

  19. 1904-1906    J.B. Means

  20. 1907-1912    Porter Meek

  21. 1913-1916    Ollie Sherard

  22. 1917-1918    Sextus C. Lynch

  23. 1919-1920    Floyd Leard

  24. 1921-1924    Frank Smith

  25. 1925-1928    Druery W. McMillan

  26. 1929-1932    Vernon D. Campbell

  27. 1933-1936    Robert P. Daniels

  28. 1937-1938    Coulson Sherard

  29. 1939-1944    Spencer Brandt

  30. 1945-1952    Howard F. Hutton

  31. 1953-1968    Oscar L. (Shorty) Maddock

  32. 1969-1972    O.E. (Plug) Schurlock

  33. 1973-1980    Gene Easley

  34. 1981-1992    Wayne McFee

  35. 1993-1996    Jerry Smith

  36. 1997-2003    Brad Mefford

    1. Sept. 2003, County Coroner Pete Bram served as acting Sheriff

    2. for a period of 8 hours until the appointment

    3. of a new Sheriff by the County Commission on Oct. 1, 200337.

  37. 2003- 2016   Wes Raines

  38. ​2016-Present Andy Clark

Mission

The DeKalb County Sheriff's Office mission is to enhance life by protecting and serving the citizens, preventing crime, and enforcing the law with equity. Our vision is to ensure a safe and secure community.

The The DeKalb County Sheriff's Office has 10 full time Deputies with 5 of those Deputies as School Resource Officers, approximately 4 reserve Deputies and 6 full time civilian personnel dedicated to the health, safety and welfare of our citizens. We are located in northwest Missouri, East of St. Joseph, Missouri. Our community has a population of approximately 12,840 citizens and cover 426 square miles. County seat is located in Maysville Mo. DeKalb County Sheriff's Department is located on the 3rd floor of the County Courthouse at the intersection of 33 hwy. and 6 hwy.

 

HISTORY of DEKALB COUNTY

DeKalb County was originally part of Ray County. The boundary lines were established by an act of Mo Legislation January 5, 1845 and on January 25, 1845, a bill was passed providing for the county’s origin.

The county was named in honor of Baron Johann De Kalb, right hand major general of the famous Lafayette in the struggle of the American colonies for independence.  Baron Johann De Kalb was sent to join the southern army under General Gates in the year 1780. Baron Johann De Kalb was mortally wounded in the battle of Camden in which he fought August 16 1780.

Commissioners were selected after the passing of the legislation providing the county’s origin in January 1845 to locate a permanent seat of justice for the county court. The commissioners selected the home of Henry Hunter two miles southeast of Maysville as a temporary place for holding courts. After viewing several proposed sites the commissioners then selected a geographical location near the center of the county for the county seat. A report of the commissioners was turned into the County Court and formally approved by that body August 18, 1845. A new town was raised up around this spot. The town was given the name of Maysville.

DeKalb County residents presented a petition to the County Court to build a courthouse, but the court rejected it, deciding to purchase a log cabin on the east side of the public square in Maysville. By order of the Court Walter Doak built a double log house with two fifteen foot rooms on the east side of the public square. The County offices were moved into the log building in 1847.

In 1851 a new court respecting past wishes of the county’s residents, looked favorably on building a courthouse. The court ordered Abram Barger to submit a plan for the new courthouse. The court rejected the first plan which was a cupola, it was considered too extravagant. The court accepted a 55 foot by 30 foot two story brick courthouse. The new courthouse was built by George C.W. McPheerson in 1852 at the approximate cost of $3750.00

The first Sheriff of DeKalb County was Charles Allen, who was appointed by the Governor on April 8 1845.  Records indicate that Sheriff Allen refused to serve, but was elected in 1847. The second Sheriff appointed by the Governor July 18 1845 was Andrew H. Skidmore. There are two news articles that contradict themselves about these two Sheriffs. Sheriff Allen’s article stated that after refusing to serve he was elected in 1847 and held office for three years. Sheriff Skidmore’s article reveals that he was appointed in July 1845 where he held office until January 1 1850.  The first Sheriff of DeKalb County was said to have made 236 career arrests with 187 convictions, although history is a little cloudy concerning the first two DeKalb County Sheriffs.

In the beginning days of the County there was no jail. It is said that in an early August session of the court two men became involved in a quarrel for which the Sheriff arrested them both taking the two before the court. One man was cleared stating self defense and the other was assessed a fine and cost of the court. The poor man had no money so he was ordered imprisoned by the court. The Sheriff was at his wits end since there was no jail, so he had to find a place of incarceration. There was only one cellar in town. The cellar was under the William H. Ritchie grocery store located at the corner of main and polk streets in Maysville. The man was placed in the cellar overnight. The prisoner was said to have found whiskey casks in the cellar and soon found a way to refresh himself. The prisoner lying down on his back and opened the faucet, and in a short space of time he was oblivious to his surroundings and by far believed to be the happiest prisoner ever incarcerated in any jail.

The first jail in DeKalb County was erected in 1858 by Andrew Sherard. The jail stood on the northwest corner of the square.  It had a deep cellar under it called a dungeon, walled up with large stones, the only entrance was through the floor of the jail through a trap door and ladder. The ladder was moveable and always pulled up after incarcerating a prisoner. The dungeon served as the foundation of the jail. The jail was built out of wooden logs that were hewn and squared fifteen inches. The logs were securely fastened together with heavy iron bolts placed about ten inches apart.  The jail served its purpose until it was condemned and sold by the court in 1873.  From 1873 until the construction of the new jail in 1885 prisoners were incarcerated in jails of neighboring counties.

On Christmas night 1878 a fire destroyed the DeKalb County Courthouse along with many of its records.  In 1880 a proposition to build a new courthouse was submitted, but defeated by the southern portion of the county citizens, who favored the county seat be moved to Stewartsville. In 1881 the proposition was again submitted and lost. In 1882 the proposition was defeated a third time. In 1884 the proposition was submitted again and was carried.

The new courthouse was to be made of brick containing two wide halls on the first floor with a pair of staircases leading up to the second floor. The cost of the building was $32000.00. In the rear of the building was a eight person revolving jail, with two cells in another part of the building for housing female prisoners. Above the cells were two rooms for hospitals to accommodate medical needs of prisoners if needed.

In August 1938 voters approved a $55,000 bond which was to be matched by a $45,000 government grant.  The brick building trimmed in stone which still stands today is 110 feet by 55 feet. The Circuit Court on the second floor with the jail and Sheriff’s quarters on the third floor. Dedication of the Courthouse took place Oct. 20. 1939.

Since the origin of DeKalb County in 1845 DeKalb County has had thirty eight appointed or elected sheriff’s serving the citizens of the County. The County has also had County Coroner Pete Bram serving as Sheriff for an eight hour period September 30, 2003 until the appointment of the Sheriff, Sheriff Wes Raines on October 01, 2003 at 08:00 a.m.

The history shows that two DeKalb County Sheriffs have been shot.  In the 1920’s Sheriff Frank Smith was shot in the face while he and the prosecuting Attorney were raiding a still at the Harrison Heimbaugh residence located near Weatherby Mo.  The shot was alleged to have been fired by Claude Heimbaugh, son of Harrison Heimbaugh.  Sheriff Smith suffered with several buckshot in the face from a shotgun while chasing a running man in the brush near a fifty gallon still. Sheriff Smith fired several shots at the man before the shotgun blast hit the Sheriff in the face. The Sheriff was taken to Maysville where it was discovered one of his teeth had been knocked out by the shotgun blast.  The other pellets from the shotgun blast proved to be painful, but not life threatening.  Claude Heimbaugh was indicted by a Grand Jury for Assault with Intent to Kill, both Harrison and Claude were also charged with keeping an illicit still.

On Tuesday February 15, 1949 Sheriff Howard Hutton was seriously injured when he went to the home of William Redding. Mr. Redding lived in the west part of Maysville.  Mr. Redding met Sheriff Hutton on the porch where he struck Sheriff Hutton over the left eye with a pickaxe. Neighbors who witnessed the attack phoned for help. Prosecuting Attorney Harold Miller and others went to the Redding home to assist Sheriff Hutton. Sheriff Hutton struggled with Mr. Redding until help arrived. Prosecuting Attorney Harold Miller was able to get Mr. Redding handcuffed and taken to jail. Sheriff Hutton was taken to Dr. Fowler’s Office and later transported to Missouri Methodist Hospital in St. Joseph Mo. Sheriff Hutton had went to the Redding residence because Mr. Redding had struck Mrs. Redding and their daughter Donna Lee. Mr. Redding had also made threats against other people in Maysville. Prosecuting Attorney Harold Miller filed Assault with Intent to Kill charges against Mr. Redding. The latest report on Sheriff Hutton was that he was doing well in the hospital and would remain hospitalized for several days. Sheriff Hutton served DeKalb County two terms then moved to California.

Throughout the history of DeKalb County, the Sheriff that has maintained office the longest was Sheriff Oscar L. (Shorty) Maddox. Sheriff Maddox served DeKalb County as a deputy sheriff for twelve years and as DeKalb County Sheriff for sixteen years.  Sheriff Maddox lived in the Sheriff’s quarters in the upstairs of the courthouse.  Sheriff Maddox served as sheriff fom 1953-1969. During his service he also served as President of the Missouri Sheriff’s Association.  

The DeKalb County Sheriff Wes Raines and DeKalb County Commission Dick Lippold, Wayne Colhour, and Gary McFee, closed the current courthouse jail in 2006. The new jail is located in Daviess County, which opened in 2006. DeKalb County voters approved the purchase of a new and first in the State of Missouri history, Regional jail. DeKalb County and Daviess County formed a regional jail district due to the high inmate numbers and high cost of inmate housing.  This Daviess/DeKalb County Regional Jail operates today under a Jail Administrator hired by a jail board. The jail board consists of the Sheriff and Presiding Commissioner of each DeKalb and Daviess County’s.

DeKalb County like all counties has quite a history.

The history continues.

  First DeKalb County    Courthouse Erected              1851-1878

Destroyed by fire Christmas night 1878

      Second DeKalb

   County Court House

         1885-1938

      Third DeKalb

   County Court House

         1938-Current